Originally settled by Loyalists in the late 1700's, Stevensville capitalized on its natural surroundings for commercial growth. The abundant forests and location along Black Creek fostered a large timber and mill trade. By 1812 it was listed as the largest community in Bertie Township, and received a post office in 1835.
At one time, four fires completely destroyed most of the village's main businesses, and Stevensville suffered a temporary setback. The railway boosted Stevensville's economy and by 1886, two lines serviced this village. Commercial development expanded along Stevensville Road between the two lines. Rail service was a quick way to get produce to the city markets and consequently, commercial farming grew in importance. As rail traffic slowed, and passenger traffic ceased, Stevensville felt the strain. Commercial business in the village suffered.
Today however, business is booming in Stevensville. Offering an array of retail and commercial businesses, Stevensville hosts an eclectic mix of contemporary and the more modern.
From tires to tigers, and chocolates to chainsaws, Stevensville continues to evolve as a business district where distant train whistles commemorate its past.
The Stevensville business district offers the following businesses / services (to name but a few);
• 36 hole golf facility
• lawn and garden care (retail and commercial)
• farm equipment and feed
• plumbing, heating and air conditioning
• commercial and industrial printing
• video rental
• travel agency
• gas / auto service station and auto repair
• convenience store(s) / market
• interactive wildlife park
• fresh produce
• specialty and gift shops